Friday, December 26, 2014

Thank you for setting a record for Empty Stocking Fund

Thank you, readers, for coming through as never before at Christmas for thousands of needy children and elderly residents.

Contributions to The Charlotte Observer’s annual Empty Stocking Fund this year surged to a new record: $362,750. That’s an increase of about 20 percent, compared with last year.

Also, more of you donated, and in larger amounts, than last year.

For more than 90 years, the fund has helped the Salvation Army’s Christmas bureau provide gifts for those least fortunate. This year, families of nearly 12,000 children registered with the bureau after documenting their financial need. The bureau also assisted seniors registered in its Silver Bells program.

Over the past month, Observer reporter Mark Price has written about the wide range of circumstances that led people to stand in line overnight in the cold in hopes of being registered. Many had lost jobs or faced staggering medical bills. Often, families needed help for children they had rescued from neglect.

Price said he was gratified that readers decided these recipients deserved a helping hand.

“I admire our readers,” Price said. “They were willing to take the leap of faith.”

As of Friday, 2,534 individuals and groups had contributed to the fund, a 12 percent increase over last year. Donations ranged from $5 to $10,000 and averaged $143, versus $131 in 2013.

All who donated were invited to be listed in print and online. Many took the opportunity to recognize others who similarly had shown them compassion. “In memory of our mothers,” wrote one donor. “In honor of our teachers,” wrote another. “In honor of my great-grandchildren,” wrote another.

There was also this, attached to one donation. “To whom much is given, much is required.”

On behalf of everyone at The Charlotte Observer, we sincerely thank you for sharing so generously this holiday season. Your giving spirit lifts and inspires us all.

A list of donors

Reach Rick Thames at or 704-358-5001.

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Access to free on Christmas Day

Did you get a new screen under the tree? Relaxing on the Web in the quiet of Christmas? Spend some time with us here at

Access to Charlotte Observer digital content is free beginning at 7 p.m. on Christmas Eve, and all day Christmas Day. That includes phones, tablets and, of course, desktops. Explore all you’d like, using our apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Windows 8. You can download them for free here.

Visitors will find some special treats, including: our year’s top 10 stories and videos, Charlotte’s year in pictures; best political cartoons by Pulitzer-Prize winner Kevin Siers, and 2014 highlights in sports.

I also recommend some gems that are rarely obvious on our home page. They include: the “Daily Edit,” a slideshow of that date’s most compelling photos; our popular guide to the region, called “Living Here;” a searchable guide to area restaurants; and an online comics page with more than twice the comics available in print.

And, with the big Carolina Panthers game set for Sunday, I encourage you to check out our special Panthers app. Charlotte Hornets fans, we have a special app for you, too.

This year, more than 30 million people visited, making it the most viewed local news site in our region. We were honored to host them all, and we welcome you, too. Come see us.

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Access is free on Christmas Day

Getting a new screen for the holidays? Take the opportunity to tour during our Digital Open House on Christmas Day.

Access to all of The Charlotte Observer’s digital content is free beginning at 7 p.m. Christmas Eve. That includes all Observer editions on phones, tablets and desktops.

We’ve assembled some treats especially for Christmas Day:

The 10 most watched videos on

The 10 most read stories on

The year in pictures for the Charlotte region.

Most memorable Carolinas sports stories of the year.

Best work in 2014 by our Pulitzer-Prize-winning political cartoonist Kevin Siers.

A list of more than a dozen of our staff’s favorite apps.

A collection of fun online quizzes.

This year, more than 30 million people visited, making it the most viewed local news site in the Carolinas. We were pleased to host them all, and we’d love to have you, too. Come see us.

Friday, May 16, 2014

Untrained medical examiners fail families, imperil justice

Anyone who has enrolled in school or applied for a passport knows the value of a birth certificate.

This is a special series of stories tied to the piece of paper at the other end of life -- your death certificate.

No, you won’t need the certificate, but trust me, it will be very important to the people you leave behind.

That’s because death certificates do more than just certify your death. They also explain what took your life.

The stated cause of death affects the ability of loved ones to collect on insurance, hold others liable for your death if warranted, and ultimately come to some peace of mind about what killed you.

And that’s just about you. Compiled and studied as vital statistics, death certificates reveal public health threats ranging from disease to environmental hazards.

But none of this works unless the facts are right. And as you will learn from this five-part series, titled "Fatally Flawed," that’s a big problem in North Carolina.

Our team of reporters documented many troubles. But the bottom line is this: Our state stands out nationally for trying to investigate unexplained deaths on the cheap.

Each year about 75,000 North Carolinians die. A medical examiner is called in to investigate about 10,000 of those deaths because the circumstances are suspicious, violent, accidental or unattended.

That’s where the trouble begins. The state requires no training for its medical examiners. And it pays them a paltry $100 per case. As a result, many deaths get little attention.

The effects on surviving loved ones can be devastating. We found case after case of grieving relatives forced to launch their own inquiries into how a family member died. Forget all you’ve seen on CSI. These circumstances were DIY (do it yourself).

The disgrace to our state doesn’t stop there. We found an eastern N.C. county conducting an earnest campaign to fight heart disease. Its inspiration: state statistics suggesting that residents were up to 10 times more at risk of dying of a heart ailment. Experts say it’s more likely that the county’s medical examiners simply chose heart disease as a catch-all explanation in processing death certificates.

While all of this may surprise you, there are people in Raleigh who have been in the know for a long time.

Our Legislature was first warned about problems with the medical examiner system 13 years ago, through another Observer series called “Grave Secrets.” Those stories triggered a 2001 commission that recommended improvements. A handful of suggestions were adopted, but many others were ignored.

Now, a new team of Observer journalists has burrowed into the system. They examined more than 130,000 deaths investigated by medical examiners since 2001. Their work is the most comprehensive analysis of state death rulings ever conducted.

And while matters have only grown worse, it doesn’t have to be this way. We’ll show you how another state helps families get to the truth about causes of death, bringing them the closure they desperately need.

I hope you’ll read the entire series and support something better for North Carolina. Both you and your descendants deserve it.

An autopsy suite in Raleigh at the Medical Examiner's labs.